Pescaítos Fritos (Andalusian Style Deep Fried Baby Fish).
You can cook Pescaítos Fritos (Andalusian Style Deep Fried Baby Fish) using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pescaítos Fritos (Andalusian Style Deep Fried Baby Fish)
- You need 1/2 pound of baby fish (I used smelt. You could also use baby anchovy or similar baby fish.).
- You need 3/4-1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of flour.
- You need 1/3 cup of corn or potato starch.
- You need 3 cups of vegetable oil for frying.
- Prepare 1 of fresh lemon or lime.
- Prepare of You'll also need a frying basket or straining type of gadget.
Pescaítos Fritos (Andalusian Style Deep Fried Baby Fish) step by step
- Soak the fish in ice water for 20 minutes or so. This will keep it from getting overcooked and tough. Then drain thoroughly. At this point, you'll want to heat start pre-heating your oil in a deep saute pan or pot (or in my case, a wok) over medium-high-ish heat to somewhere between 350 to 375F..
- Season the fish with salt and give it a few gentle tosses. Prep a wide bowl or plate with paper towels/paper bags/ or newsprint to soak up the oil and set it near the frying station..
- While the fish absorbs the seasoning, mix flour and starch in a tray or dish with sides. By this time, your oil should be ready. If you don't have a thermometer, you can check the readiness by putting a pinch of the flour mixture into the oil and if it starts gently sizzling right away, it's ready..
- Toss a third of the fish in the flour and starch mixture, shake off most of the excess, and gently lower into the oil. (Do not drop from a distance or hot oil will splatter on you.).
- Fry for 3.5 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, giving it a stir or two halfway just to make sure everything gets evenly cooked..
- Fish* (pun intended :P) the fish out, let it drain for a few second on the side of your cooking vessel, then set it aside in your dish. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 two more times with the other two thirds of the fish..
- Serve with fresh lemon to squeeze over the fish right before eating. Enjoy! :).